Wednesday, September 10, 2008

I <3 txt msging

When I was a young whippersnapper in the early years of my highschool career, i met some new friends on holidays. When it was time to say goodbye, we swapped details such as email addresses, etc, but when I told them I had no mobile phone their faces fell. They stared at me with a mixture of fear and disbelief written across their horrified faces. "How do you live without a mobile?" one of them managed to stammer. I silently pitied them as I counted off the essentials for living in my head- food, water, air... nope, pretty sure phone isn't on the list.

Oh how wrong I was.

I no longer function without my shiny piece of plastic that allows me to send short pieces of text for a low low price of 25c per 160 characters. If I had to organise meeting places in advance...well lets just say my social life would suffer. Not to mention I might die. Like, of embarrassment or something...
I guess it really is an essential for living.

I guess I shouldn't feel too bad- I have it on good authority that there is a tribe in the Serengetti desert that dress in tribal clothing, and use cows as currency to buy spouses (my family could be 50 cows richer if my sister wasn't so darn picky) and yet they use mobile phones to communicate with other tribes. Globalisation at its best.

No comments: