Friday, September 12, 2008

Less chat more hat!

The Internet, it would appear, is on a mission to prevent me from getting anything done in my life. Its secret weapon? Chat. (oh...guess its not so secret, huh). Everywhere I look (or log in) there is chat! Facebook! Gmail! MSN messenger! (Okay so the last one might be kinda my own fault- but you get the idea).


I am constantly lured by little talking windows pretending to be my friends. And while yes, uni work and work-work are important, so is debating the pros and cons of having a jumping castle at my 21st (and subsequently attempting to think of a witty and hopefully rhyming name for the 'if you vomit on it you pay the deposit' policy - suprisingly difficult...yes I realise the name already rhymes a bit).

At least I feel that these uses of my many chat related possibilities will be somewhat less wasted than they were when I was 12 years old and spent many hours chatting to my "crush" on msn (wasted in the respect that these days I also use MSN to chat to his boyfriend Matthew).

Being someone that often feels envious of goldfish and their lengthy attention span (not an exaggeration, I have aimlessly wandered away from the computer no less than 10 times while writing the last 2 paragraphs), I tend to be relatively bad at chat. This is another thing that would not translate very well into real life - if I were to stop in the middle of a conversation and stare blankly at a person for 10 minutes and then say 'oh...i forgot about you' I think I would soon find myself in a 'nice facility'.

But chat does have its advantages. I have a friend that is not a fan of pausing for breath, but online she gets to breathe and I get to talk. Everybody wins.

No comments: